The Great Onion Knighthood

Official Novel Release Thread

This forum is for Onion Knight related threads only. Please remain on-topic at all times.

Re: Official Novel Release Thread

Postby cren3856 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:03 am

I've got a lot of patience, and usually bugging people for updates backfires. I've stayed quiet mostly because all my theories are retarded and I don't want to risk influencing your work, even a little. Back in the day everyone might have thrown theories around, but I've never known about your writing process or if the narrative is set in stone.

Spoiler: show
Pretty sure one of my early thoughts was that there was a pretty big time skip between the first and second chapters, which doesn't make any sense. I also suspected that the Dark Bishop was going to become the Vesovius that found Kargaroth before going back and learning that Talis gets it. Hopefully Selene wasn't wrong about that.

That said, I'm hoping that quite a few things will be elaborated on. Talis' discovery of Kargaroth and subsequent ascent as Vesovius, how Sorion became a Saint, why Halariu is named after someone introduced as a great fighter with no formal education, maybe seeing the Cleansing in action, ect.
cren3856
Gold Knight
Gold Knight

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:49 am

I would say that the narrative is not set in stone, per se... but certain things are. Like, there are key checkpoints that I know I have to hit, it's just getting from here to there that is the real challenge of writing any novels. I'm actually struggling a bit right now because I have so much planned for this book that if i do it all, it could wind up being a novel and a half, or about 1500 pages. so I've got to figure out the right amount of content to cut. So far, that has involved cutting out most of the fighting... but I'm going to have to start working some of it back in just because I feel like that *is* my style and does belong in these books. It's going to be a juggling act of trying to keep things moving at a fast clip, without making the narrative feel rushed.

That said, I'm hoping that quite a few things will be elaborated on. Talis' discovery of Kargaroth and subsequent ascent as Vesovius,

This will be covered in depth. When all is said and done, I think Talis is *arguably* the main character of this novel.

how Sorion became a Saint

This actually wont be covered. Only because Sainthood is something that happens postmortem, and for this novel we're specifically keeping out of the celestial events. Keeping things more "down to earth", as it were. Also, keep in mind that the Saints are, largely, a personal task force for the gods. So Sorion doesn't become a Saint necessarily because of his faith or virtues, but moreso because Pecoros sees him as a powerful, dangerous figure who could help tip the scales in his endless balance of power struggle against Vaelius. Hopefully by the end of the novel, you'll at least see *that*.

why Halariu is named after someone introduced as a great fighter with no formal education

This is probably the part of the novel I'm most excited for, and is causing me the most issues. I'm having a really hard time not just filling up dozens of chapters writing strictly about Jaidra Halariu, and her story arc that's going to be woven throughout the book.

maybe seeing the Cleansing in action, ect.

And this is probably going to be the biggest twist of this novel. I'm definitely looking forward to writing this, but it's still *really* far away.
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Chapter 8 is finished and uploaded.
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Postby Onion Knight » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm having a really hard time not just filling up dozens of chapters writing strictly about Jaidra Halariu

Do it.
"It's either 'your mom' jokes or me."
"Then I, like so many men before me, must reluctantly choose your mom."
Onion Knight
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:23 am

Update for the readers (i.e. cren):

As I'm sure you've noticed the Arocaen has been on hold for a while now. This is partly from real-life stuff (I've been through some episodes. Nothing too dramatic, just a lot of distracting real world stuff).

But, additionally, this is because of a fairly major redraft the novel is undergoing. Onionknight and I originally planned for the Arocaen novel to not involve the manipulations of the gods at all... we have since decided that this is untenable. There is no reason the gods would *NOT* be involved in an era of this importance. So.... that tenant of the novel has been thrown out entirely, and the Arocaen's entire history is being redone to accommodate for larger events that are missing from the annals of history.

I at least know what the next chatper's going to be now. and it's going to be a hard one for me to write, but hopefully I'll get to it soon-ish, now that we have a new direction set.
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Postby cren3856 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:37 am

Can't wait.
cren3856
Gold Knight
Gold Knight

Postby cren3856 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:29 pm

I couldn't wait so much that I started reading everything from the beginning again. Here's my usual typo catches and other concerns.

Spoiler: show
Chapter 6 page 2: "that is time" -> "that it is time"

Chapter 10 page 2: Atheme mentions Leprue's retirement. Is he speaking of Leprue stepping down as the Lord Councilor or is this a mistake and supposed to refer to Jorra ?

Chapter 15 page 5: 13 chairs for a combined council meeting? Does the military council only have 6 members? I thought it was 6 plus Kulara acting as the equivalent of the Lord Councilor.

Atheme's initial rant during the meeting seems off now that Revian has been a threat for 5 years and his reluctance towards launching the failed attack. Pulling in all the border guards because they're *now* under threat of invasion from the west is especially at odds with the new material. Actually, a lot of the meeting should get some touch ups.

Chapter 15 page 9: silence -> silenced

It didn't occur to me until this recent reading, but now with Arocaen underway it's really easy to tell that you were itching to write more politics heavy stuff while you were rewriting the first half of Kargaroth.
cren3856
Gold Knight
Gold Knight

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Yeah sorry about this... my life has been... I dont want to say a "trainwreck" because that takes too negative of a view. Life is good overall. but it has been a rollercoaster. Multiple family funerals, weddings, personal life disasters, lots of equipment failures, some financial struggles...

I'm not even putting off the new novel at this point for any reason other than I've just completely lost my give-a-damn right now.
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Previous

Return to The Great Onion Knighthood